Sunday, October 3, 2010

No sleep makes mommy something something...

Four.  Thirty.

AM

That's what time I've been up every morning this week.  Why. Won't. This. Child. Sleep?  At night?  By 8:30am he's ready for a 2 hour nap.  And another leisurely siesta after lunch.  But at night he's up like every hour or 2, and then is up for good at four flippin' thirty.  Rearing to go.  Ready to play.  Why? 

A friend of mine just updated her Facebook status to say, "So thankful for a child who sleeps well, I got up at 9 and she's still sleeping :)" (You know who you are...).  I'm sooo jealous.  No, jealous doesn't cover it - I'm desperate.  I would do anything for that kind of sleep.

Also, I think maybe I'm a little psychotic with sleep deprivation.  Like I keep thinking I see things out of the corner of my eye, and then there's nothing there.  I've experienced this before when I've been exhausted from working nights, so I know I not going completely off my rocker, but still...it's a little disturbing.

The other night around 3am I held the baby in the darkness of his room, waiting for him to be enough asleep that I could slip him back into his crib without waking him.  As I stared at his little face in the darkness, it started to look...well, not right.  Kinda distorted.  I couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong, so I start inspecting his features, finally deciding that it was his lip that didn't look right.  His upper lip.  It looked all puffy and lumpy and swollen like he was having an allergic reaction or something.  I poked it...and it felt puffy too.  So I start tilting him this way and that, trying to get the nightlight to shine on his face better so I can get a better look, starting to get a little panicky that there's something terribly wrong.  Something definitely didn't look right.  I finally dashed over to the light switch and flipped it on - just to find his face and lips just as I had left them at bedtime.  Perfect.  No puffy lumps.  Just perfect little baby lips.

I'm losing my mind. 

Naturally the journey to the light switch disturbed him enough that we had to start over with going back to sleep, and I ultimately robbed myself needlessly of 15 minutes of sweet, luxurious slumber.  Rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment