Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Got the mac and cheese blues

Did you know that everything that is yummy has cheese or milk in it?  And I can't have it?

I'm on a strict dairy-free diet due to my son's milk allergy.  So as long as I'm breastfeeding him I'm not allowed to eat anything good.  Although I'd do anything for him, I can't help but feel a little sorry for myself - especially this time of year when comfort food becomes my lifeline until spring. 

Sure it was hard not having ice cream and milkshakes this summer, but now I'm missing out all the warm fall foods that require cheese, butter, and cream to be yummy.  I'm dreaming about lasagna, fettuccine alfredo, a big fat cheeseburger, cream soups with grilled cheese sandwiches, baked potatoes with sour cream and butter, pizza....mmmmpizza.  And I would literally KILL if someone tempted me with homemade mac and cheese.  
cheesy goodness

And CHOCOLATE...what I would do for some chocolate.  I think I'd eat a chocolate boot right about now.  In fact, I'd eat a cheese boot too.  And if I have to watch my husband savour another steaming cup of coffee with cream, I think I might stab him in the eye.  Sorry, honey. 

I'm trying to remind myself that I'm doing myself a healthy favour by avoiding all the fatty, high-calorie food...but who am I kidding?  I want it.  I need it. 

How's a girl supposed to stay warm in Canada without packin' on a few pounds for the winter?    

2 comments:

  1. if you're feeling a little adventurous try this recipe. Its vegan mac and cheeze. might hold you off until you can eat dairy again. I've never made this recipe, but I have made a bunch of stuff from Angela's website and it's always turned out great.

    http://ohsheglows.com/2009/05/10/healthy-comfort-food-vegan-mac-and-cheese/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in a similar situation myself now. My doctor put me on a low-fat diet, which means no cheese, no chocolate, no red meat etc.......
    It's hard in the beginning, but you get used to it soon. By now I have discovered quite a few very nice resipes, which are low-fat (they aren't all dairy free though). It can be hard to watch others eating your favourite food.
    I am sure you'll be able work out a nice menu for this difficult time, just keep searching for the recipes you can have! I'm sure you'll find some yummy ones!

    Thank you for joining my blog and for the lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete